Monday, August 21, 2006

The Random Interview Project 3: Rebecca

This installment of The Random Interview Project Part Three comes to us from long-time reader Rebecca of World Wide Wood. You can also check out her Part One and Part Two interviews as well.

1. If you could have somehow told your high school self one thing about your 20s, what would you have wanted to know back then
?
"As hard as it is to belive: God does have a plan for you. You may feel like your prayers for acceptance and love are going unanswered, but you just aren't ready for them to be fulfilled yet. Have faith and enjoy getting to know yourself."

2. What do you miss most about college life?
I miss how easy it was to socialize with friends. In college having lunch with friends or getting together for a movie was a quick phone call away. Now it means planning a week in advance. Our lives are so much more complex now.

3. If you had to live in another state, what state would you choose and why?
There are a few other states that are attractive to me: Maine, and Vermont are near the top of the list, but I'd have to say Oregon. I spent a semester living there while in college and fell in love with it. The lifestyle is so much more laid back than life here near Boston. The people were so friendly and there are so many great things to do outdoors.

4. If you had to live in another country, what country would you choose and why?
You know, Canada has always looked good to me. Canadians seem happier than their southern neighbors. Other than that, I'd probably live pretty much anywhere. Every country has its own interesting features. It is hard to choose just one.

5. If you suddenly inherited a great deal of money, what would you do with it?
Pay off our student loans (and my brother's); set up a college fund for Baby Catherine; buy a house; travel; find a worthy charity and support the heck out of it; invest for retirement.

6. What has given you the most joy about motherhood so far?
I love the confidence that Catherine gives me. I need to be my best because I'm all she has to help her grow up right. I work harder to make good decisions because my choices no longer affect only myself. Making good decisions builds my confidence and makes me a happier person. And having a happier Mom makes Catherine a happier baby. It's a good cycle.

7. Where do you see you and your family in ten years?
I'd love it if we (Peter, Catherine, baby #2? and I) were all packed into an RV and were on a summer road trip vacation taking in the sights and sounds of our country.

In general, though, I'd like to have a couple kids and a house in the country with a garden and room to run around. We'd be active in our local church and school and get to spend time with our immediate family as well as all of our extended relatives. And it would be great if Peter can continue to work at a job that he enjoys.

8. What have you still not done in life that you'd love to do?
I would love to hike the Appalacian Trail. I'm a good hiker, but not that good. Lately, I've been thinking it would be fun to tackle just the Massachusetts section. We'll see what happens.

9. Which relative has had the most impact on who you are today?
Definitely my Mom. She rarely ever forced her opinions on me or gave unsolicited advice, but as I get older I realize how much of her I have internalized. I'm finding that I mirror her beliefs and parenting style and the way she acts around other people. She has mentioned choices I have made (especially throughout my recent childbearing process) that were very much like her own; without my having any knowledge of her choices earlier in life.

I'm very happy to be so similar to my Mom. We're both our own people with some distinct differences, but I'm proud that I'm picking up many of her admirable qualities.

10. If you had the opportunity to give a high school graduating speech to a roomful of teenagers, what do you think you would speak on and emphasize in your talk?
I think I'd want to recommend living a life that was unique to each member of the audience. Trying to live life the way you think someone else wants you to will almost always end in disappointment (for you or the person you're trying to impress). Be smart, be responsible, but have fun and do things your way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: #4. Rebecca and I have gradually been scoping out Canada over the past couple of years. ;-) We visited Niagara Falls in 2004, Montreal in Feb. of this year, and will be visiting Toronto later this fall. We hope to see more of your great country in the years to come! :-)