Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Random Interview Project Part 3: Marco

This installment of The Random Interview Project Part Three comes from Marco in The Netherlands. He asked me to answer the same questions as well, and here they are on his blog. It was interesting to answer the questions and experience this project from both sides this time!

1. If you could go on a one-week vacation, starting next Tuesday, to one place you've already been before, where would you go and why?
-long answer: This is a question I'm asking myself these days as well. Of course, my next vacation is sometime in the fall (so not next Tuesday), but I'm sort of torn between Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, northern Italy, and England. I have fond memories of all these places. I'm leaning towards saying northern Italy. I had a beautiful two weeks there back in 1999 and haven't returned since. (I wrote a blog post about this already).
-short answer: northern Italy

2. What is your least favourite food?
-long answer: Wow,... I assume you mean something that is considered "food" by most of our culture (i. e. no grubs or monkey brains or raw mutton)? As a kid I had foods I didn't like (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.), but now I eat everything, although I don't enjoy peppers as much as most other things I'd be likely to be served. I like "exotic" foods, although what we get in the West are toned-down versions of it so I wouldn't know if I'd like the authentic stuff. I did get sick from a weird prawn-and-squid soup I had in Korea once.
-short answer: peppers.

3. If you had the chance to meet one famous person (currently living), who would you want to meet and what would you like to talk about?
-long answer: My gut reaction is to say Bob Dylan. That takes care of the second part of the question too, because, man, it doesn't matter WHAT you plan to talk to Dylan about, he'll take you into his own world anyway. It would probably be a scary experience, you'd have no idea what he's talking about most of the time. If I could get him to stay on the topic of spirituality for a while, that would be cool.
-short answer: I'd like to meet Bob Dylan and talk about spirituality.

4. Imagine for a moment you got an all-expenses paid scholarship for any university-level program anywhere in the world, where would you like to go and what would you want to study?
-long answer: Thinking about this question brought me to a surprising result, because even though I enjoyed my university years and almost became a "professional student", I currently have no desire to study. On the other hand, this is obviously not an offer I could in good conscience throw away just like that, so I'd really need to think about this.
-short answer: The studying dream is sort of over for me.

5. If you could re-live any one year of your life, what one would you choose?
-long answer: Another difficult one, partly because of the nature of the theoretical "re-living" of life. Like, living it again knowing what I know now, or having the time extended by a year in my history and memories? I think I was most consistently positive about life when I was 18-19. I was idealistic, almost optimistic, I had dreams and plans and was working towards them. I also had a well-balanced life: work, friends, family, soccer, reading, writing, and music, in good proportions to one another.
-short answer: 1993-1994, that year off between high school and university.

6. What is one of your favourite memories from your teenage years?
Sailing model boats at Carolina park in Quito, with Nathanael and Matt and Dan.

7. Who is someone you admire, and why?
C. S. Lewis. He's succinct, lucid, and deep.

8. Who has been one of the greatest influences in your life?
short answer: My dad.
long answer: ... would get way too long. But yeah, all my life he's been my role model, confidant, mentor, and just generally the first person I'd discuss things with or seek advice from.

9. Where do you hope to be in ten years?
I wouldn't mind still being in Amsterdam. But it would be cool to have the theoretical freedom to travel.

10. What was one of your most challenging life experiences?
Getting myself into the claws of a girl with borderline personality disorder. Well, I guess the real challenge in this experience was getting myself OUT OF her claws.

No comments: