Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Random Interview Project: Robert

This interview in the series known as The Random Interview Project comes from Robert. He was the yearbook editor when I worked on yearbook, most of my years at Briercrest. Now he has a blog of his own called Rob's Whirled.

He lives in Nebraska and drives an ambulance and a station wagon, a very peculiar purpleish-pink station wagon to be exact.

1. If you could re-experience any one year of your life, which year would you choose and why?
There are many years that I would like to go back and repeat and change some of the stupid things I did, but to re-experience is a completely different thing. I loved my senior (grade 12) year of high school. I would re-experience that year. Sure, there were some tough things about that year, but I think I could survive the "Re-Experience Experience."

2. What is a favourite memory of yours from college?
My favorite memory from College is spending late nights in the Eyewitness (the yearbook) office working towards deadlines. We got so tired and goofy by the end of things that is was suprising we even made it through some of those nights without hurting ourselves or eachother.

3. If you could live in another state or province that you have not yet lived in, which one would you choose and why?
Montana would be my first pick for a state. It would be relatively close to family in Wyoming and Alberta, and closer to many of the people and friends I met in Canada, too. For a province, my pick would be Alberta. It has the mountains. My sister and Brother-in-law also live in Alberta.

4. What's so great about playing all those weird instruments?
I play a KYDD Bass. It is an electric upright bass. I like it, not only for the way it sounds, but because I get to tell people I already have a KYDD. I also have a name for it, Billy the KYDD. It is a weird instrument, but it is fun to play. I also play the piano, cello, and guitar. I own two basses, four cellos, a guitar, a mandolin, an antique pump organ, and an old player piano. They take up lots of space, but I am not getting rid of any of them.

5. If you could only watch five movies for the rest of your life, which five would you choose and why?

1. The Back to the Future Trilogy ( I am counting it as one movie.) because it is a classic from my growing up years.

2. The Brother of Sleep- a European film about a organist who grows up in a harsh mountain village, but becomes revered by the community and the country-at-large when they finally recognize his musical talent.

3. Stand By Me- for the soundtrack

4. The Patriot- to remind me of the people who have made this country (the USA) what it is and was, and to remind me that there are still those type of people left.

5. This one isn't a movie yet, but this book ever become one... Obsessed by Ted Dekker- about following desires and not being afraid to lose everything to gain the one thing that matters most.

6. What is your favourite word and why?
Michelle, I believe you know the answer to this one already. My favorite word is "Basturd." I like the way it rolls off the tongue. I also like the fact that it can be used different ways. It can be legitimately used to describe the illigitimate child and illigitimately used to describe someone who is of great fristration.

7. If you could go anywhere in the world, all expenses paid, for a couple of hours, where would you go and what three people would you want to meet there?
The country of Malta- I would like to meet Paul and Claire Asenov, and my wife there. Paul and Claire are friends of mine that I met a few years ago that live there. I told them I'd love to visit them there. It would be a great reason to go see Europe, and the possibility of having my honeymoon fully expense paid would be nice, too. I don't have a wife yet, or even a girlfriend, but when I do, she will probably get to go to Europe with me.

8. If you had to brush your teeth with mustard, could you do it?
Yes! Although I would probably resort to only brushing my teeth once a year and chew lots of teeth-cleaning gum instead.

9. What was the best thing about growing up in Wyoming?
I grew up right at the base of Casper Mountain just outside of Casper, Wyoming. The best thing about living there was waking up in the morning on a foggy day. As the fog receded into the valley, the cloudy mist looked like a giant ocean. It was almost like we had beachfront property at the base of some mountains. Wyoming is a state with a lot of untampered-with natural beauty left.

10. What is the weirdest thing you have ever done?
The weirdest thing I have probably done is put battery-operated Christmas lights on the front of my car. It was when I still had my old red Subaru. It looked pretty stupid. The batteries ran down fast. It would have been much cooler if I could have had chasing lights.

No comments: