Friday, March 18, 2005

The Random Interview Project: Jake

This installment of The Random Interview Project is brought to you by Jake, of the blog Mainstreet American. He's been reading Mikao's World for a very long time.

He comes from the land of Swiss Miss... originally from Colorado, he now lives in Arkansas to attend grad school.

"Thank you Michelle!
This is by far the best and most enjoyable questionaire I have ever filled out. This is such a great project! I think you could make a blog just out of these questionaires...or a book...like Found Magazine did...just thoughts on unique questions by everday people. :-)

- Jake"

1. In all your years of schooling, what class was your most favourite one to take, and why?
Very tough question, and I have to choose two different classes. The first was American Political Thought. I took it my junior year of college. It was early 8:00am on T/Th, but I always looked forward to it. The class was taught (or more accurately, facilitated) by a man who was incredible. The 8 other students in the class were arguably the cream of the crop Political Science senior students at my school (I think I was the only Junior, and was not in their league). We read
the thoughts of America's Founding Fathers (and mothers) and discussed, debated, and dreamed. I've never been so challenged by a course in my life. The second course, taken my Senior year, was Colorado History. It was taught by the foremost Colorado historian, and he is a great story teller. It was a class where I could sit back,
and listen to stories about the history of my state. I learned what streets were named after whom, the history of towns I knew well, etc. It was a great class.

2. Why did you decide to start blogging, and what is it that has made you continue on with it for two and a half years?
Hehe. My original reason that I started blogging was I need a place to rant about my job. I wanted to hear other rants about jobs, and get some sort of comraderie from other folks. Now I write mostly for myself, but also because I seem to communicate
better via words on paper (or screen) than I can verbally. I also have had the experience of reading other blogs that have made me aware that I am not the only one feeling the way I do sometimes. I want to be that blog for just one other person...kind of to return the favor.

3. If you had the opportunity to have a thirty minute conversation with your president, what would you want to talk about?
Even with all of the things that I disagree with America's President on, I'd probably want him to tell me his story. I want to know where he is coming from. His true thoughts and ideas...not just what the media portrays, or his administration portrays. Hopefully he would be honest with me. Especially since I would be honest with him and tell him I did not vote for him, either time.

4. If tomorrow you had the opportunity to fly anywhere in the world for a day, with just one other person, where would you go and who would you take with you?
Honestly, for as many places I would want to fly right now, I think because of the struggles my girlfriend and I have been having in Arkansas (not struggles with eachother, rather with Arkansas) that I think I would fly with her back to Denver so we could spend time with our families in a place we find comfortable and safe. A place we know, and people we love.

5. What is your earliest memory?
Right now the earliest memory I can think of is walking (or being carried) up the steps of the Apartment building my grandparents lived in. I remeber seeing the metal doors on each floor that where for used for milk delivery long before I was born. I remember one lady saying hi to me through one of those doors. I think my and parents lived in that apartment building when I was about 2-3 years old.

6. Tell us an interesting story about your family.
Oh there are so many, and a few the law forbides me from sharing (not really).

One of the interesting stories about my family is about two ancestors from different sides of my family. In a particular battle during the American Civil War (not sure which battle), an ancestor on my Mom's side and an ancestor on my Dad's side fought for the Union Army (oddly enough my dad's ancestor was from a Confederate state, but chose to fight for the Union). My mom's ancestor died in that battle, my dad's
ancestor was wounded by survived. Its amazing to me to think that my ancesotrs from both sides may have had contact with eachother more than 100 years before my parents met.

7. Share a favourite quote with us.
My old standby is a quote from Plato that is attributed to Socrates: "The unexamined life is not worth living".

8. Who in the world would you most like the opportunity to meet?
As long as I had the opportunity to sit down and talk with this person it would be either: Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu or Former U.S. President Bill Clinton.

9. Describe your perfect Saturday afternoon.
A sunny and slightly breezy day either in early summer/late autumn when it never gets too hot. Hanging out either at a river, or lake (not crowded) with my friends. Just sitting around, swimming, talking, napping. Followed up by a trip to a favorite restaurant. I am so thankful that I've actually had days like this.

10. Imagine for a moment that Petra has given you a call and would like to come and play at your birthday party for free. Would you accept the offer? Why or why not?
This is probably the easiest question of them all :-). I would be honored to have Petra play at my birthday party. I don't think I'd ever seek them out to play, but if they volunteered, I would not deny them. Seriously, how many people can say Petra played their birthday party? Exactly! I really don't care if many of the people at the party would not know who they are. I would, and it would be sweet!

Thanks Michelle! I really enjoyed this!

--
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Plato"

You can find Jake's interview from last year here.

No comments: