Thursday, May 06, 2004


I Don't Get It


Jordon Cooper said this:

"(I recieved) over 200 e-mails asking me for a Gmail invite. That was a bad idea to mention that on my site. I had 3 invites to offer out. I an't believe the traffic my site got from Google searches looking for "gmail invite". Calm down people. Everyone will have them soon."

I got a gmail account. I got it because I'm an "active Blogger account user." I've used it a bit, but not a lot. I don't know that I like it yet. What do the rest of you that have it think of it?

I wonder if it's any good at spam blocking... I haven't tested it to see if it is. The 1000MB of space though, that is nice. The email threads are a neat feature too. I don't like the look of it though.

Later: I did some websearching. This is what I found. People were auctioning gmail invites on ebay. That's ridiculous. They're free!

And, by the way, turns out people who have gmail accounts (i.e. Blogger users), each have two invites. I just gave one of mine away.

"The number of people 'desperate to get a Gmail account' makes Gmail the most awaited Internet service at the moment." - WebProNews.

From what I can gather, there's a lot of hype (duh) over what people think is going to be the ultimate email service. Google has not said when it's officially launching the service to the public, but it's guessed by various sources on the internet that it will be soon. I saw people on ebay willing to pay $38 for an account. People want to be sure that they can get the username they want. "michelle" was already taken when I signed up a few weeks ago. There are already a lot of gmail users I would assume, based on the fact that there are a lot of Blogger users, and most have two invites to give away.

There's too much hype. But I do still have that one invite left, if anyone I know wants to try it out, and you know, "get the gmail username you want," email me at michellejohnston[at]gmail[dot]com and let me know.

No comments: