Wednesday, February 04, 2009

First Baby Quilt

I have a file on my computer desktop entitled "People Who Are Pregnant". There are currently 17 people listed (well, one gave birth today, so I suppose I can take her off the list!). Those remaining include good friends, college friends, and church friends. I won't be giving all of them gifts, but I have decided to make a few things to give as gifts over the next few months.

This is a baby quilt I designed, did the sewing of, and quilted in an evening (minus the binding I did on a second day because I did it by hand). The fabrics were all ones that I already had on hand, and the batting was some I had leftover from a Christmas project I had made late last year.

I designed the quilt in Microsoft Excel... good for more than just spreadsheets! I quite like it for designing layouts, especially since I don't really have any good graphics programs. Originally I was planning to do a log cabin type of design, but eventually settled on straight rows, and I really like how it turned out.

The fabrics I used were as follows:

- old white sheet
- the brown with white floral was a vintage duvet cover I purchased a few years ago, it has made a few appearances in other crafts of mine in the past including a few purse linings and a shirt
- the white with brown and blue floral was also a vintage duvet cover purchased at the same time as the brown one. It's been repurposed into a purse, some purse linings, and a skirt.
- plain brown broadcloth
- blue with brown print is actually a home decor print I bought originally to make this baby dress a couple of summers ago.



You can click on any of the photos for a closer look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Gorgeous! Any Mama worth her salt would be floored to receive this. I'm inspired to raid my stash and make baby quilt for the little one. Catherine got a quilt for Christmas so I guess it is only fair, right?

I can't tell from the pic, did you 'stitch in the ditch' to quilt it?

Anonymous said...

Nice job Michelle. That is a lot of babies arriving!

Ben S. said...

would you consider making one of these to sell? if so, what would you charge? it's so great.