Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Hometown Six: My January

Okay, here it is finally. Although oh so very late. I present to you six signs of the place I currently reside in for January's Hometown Six Challenge.

In Ontario it's weird, because town limits are weird. Like they start a way out and not on the edge of town. And villages are parts of other towns. I'll never understand it. Anyways, this is the sign that welcomes you to town on Highway 11. It was after 5pm and snowing.

This is one of the highway signs directing you which exit to take, or as they call them in Ontario, "interchanges". I can remember when I first came to Ontario asking Mrs. Yoshiki what on earth an interchange was because there were always signs announcing "Ajax, 2 Interchanges". Also, all the local county (I think that's what they're called in Ontario, out west we call them municipalities) roads seem to be named after the county, thus "Muskoka Rd. 3", "Simcoe Rd. 3", etc.

This is by Wal*Mart, on the Centre Street extension. They made the street longer so it would go to the new business area where Americanism is taking over the forest and rocks. Our town has this colour theme going on for all the downtown signs.

I wanted to take a picture of a sign that was temporary... so here is the Winter Festival banner on the bridge that goes over the river right by the main downtown area.

The aforementioned Wal*Mart-and-other-stores business area.

This is the very first photo I took for this challenge. I was so excited about it too. Except I was driving, and the sign was behind me, and there was lots of traffic. So I tried to take the picture while driving pointing the camera sort of behind me. And I knew the picture didn't work but I thought I could try again the next day. Except the next day, they had changed the sign!!!

No comments: