Wednesday, March 03, 2004


Animatronic


I have spent the last three hours in the computer lab at the academic building of my school working on putting my surveys online and and responding to surveys already recieved. I spent all afternoon (except for about an hour), staring at the computer screen in my house typing survey data into an Excel spreadsheet. Not by choice really, but because I have to. I have all kinds of work to do on my final paper. I think tonight I shall be dreaming that I am still in front of a computer screen clickety-clacking away.

Most of tonight I could see, within my field of vision, a guy playing one of those online versions of a Tetris-type game on another computer. Why would you come to the computer lab and waste away your evening playing online Tetris? How boring is that?

I can remember when my brother got a GameBoy for Christmas and our whole family would spend hours and hours playing Tetris. I would wake up in the middle of the night from dreaming I was still playing it. Thankfully, I am no longer the avid Tetris fan I once was. I pretty much never play computer games anymore. Except for that SIMS streak last semester.

I find I only get into computer games when I am feeling like my life is devoid of meaningful real life relationships. But why would one rather spend time with a computer without human interaction when that human interaction is actually what they’re craving?

We are a funny, sometimes seemingly animatronic, people.

No comments: