Sunday, February 08, 2009

January Scarf

I'd been wanting to knit a lace-patterned scarf for awhile, something that would be light and airy and quick to knit. I was going to draft my own pattern, but then I took on Ravelry for lace patterns and found this Leaf Lace Scarf pattern. One of my New Year's resolutions was to knit something that would take a lot of patience... but I didn't know this would be it.

a) I had been a member of Ravelry for awhile, but had never posted anything nor used any patterns.
b)Ravelry is fantastic. You can find all sorts of good patterns on there. And lots for free. And you can see the same project knit by a bazillion different people so you can get more of an idea of what it looks like in different sizes, colours, variations, etc.
c) This scarf took forever. Probably at least 25 hours of knitting... I counted it up just before I completed it.
d) I knit it on 3mm needles, with some thin ivory yarn I bought at a thrift store a few years ago.
e) Unfortunately in it's finished state it curls over on itself, I think perhaps blocking it might help, but I have never blocked anything and haven't gotten around to it.
f) Overall, I do like the way it looks, but I wouldn't make another one. I would draft my own pattern and do something not quite so intense.

No comments: