Saturday, October 16, 2004


Reading


These thoughts are from Michaela Forbes' blog. She doesn't have permalinks so I just quoted everything I wanted to here:

Casella says, in his interview, just about how I feel:

"I wrote 'Walking on Water' in the car on a trip from Pennsylvania back to Nashville last fall. I was thinking about how crazy my life had been and what faith felt like in the midst of that. Lyrically, I drew a lot of ideas out of that song from different angles, but most of what I was trying to say is there in the chorus. Faith can feel like dying. It will take you to your lowest of lows because you lose your right to yourself. God is not so interested in our happiness as much as He is in holiness. The other end of that is the exhilaration of what it feels like to be totally enraptured and caught up in something bigger than yourself, something that completely disarms you, empties you out, then fills you up with what you need. So it's a song about being a believer and holding onto your faith as you grow older, to keep walking, even when you don't feel like walking."

What I love, is that God does empty us, to fill us with what we need. And that may not coincide with what we think we want. Without the shade, we would never appreciate the sunshine. Without these sorrows, we would never be able to appreciate the joys. And through the shade and sorrow, God strips away what we were clinging so tightly to, in order to give us his absolute best. And between what we thought would be best, and what is our best, we are blessed with this spiritual renewal that would not have occurred in any other way but this.


No comments: