Friday, April 09, 2004


Tick Tock Passion


What makes you tick?

I never particularly liked this question. But then again, you don't get asked it too often. What do you answer to that?

I remember my first year of college during my first semester, every Thursday morning I got a ride with the professor who lived next door to me, instead of taking the bus. I never saw her except for our half-hour ride to school once a week.

We always had awkward conversations, but she had good questions. One Thursday morning, very early in the semester, she asked me what my passion was. I don't really particularly remember what I answered, I probably said painting or art in general, but I do remember her saying that if I wasn't heading towards it then I was in the wrong program.

I was studying art, and while I loved it, it wasn't my passion.

It'll probably sound like a Christianese answer, but Christ is my passion. He is my reason for existence. He's the One for whom I live.

So what makes me tick? Although sometimes I get caught up in the messy details of life, the love of God makes me tick.

The pulse of life within my wrist
A fallen snow, a rising mist
There is no higher place than this
And my soul wells up
O my soul wells up
Yes my soul wells up with hallelujahs

- from "Hallelujahs," by Chris Rice.

No comments: