Thursday, March 18, 2004


Something Brought You


The reason why I asked earlier why you read this is because, besides the curiosity I have and the potential for some really great answers, was because I was wondering if your reason for reading people's blogs is the same or similar to mine.

The blogs that I find truly interesting are ones of personal story… not ones of technical knowledge or endless links. The ones we like to read are ones that tell us or show us visually what life is like to be that person, who their relationships are with, how they have developed, memories of their past, and hopes for their future. Blogs that tell of people who have made a difference to the writer, of the joys of their life, the spiritual struggles they have encountered, the hope they have found... those are the ones I love to read.

I like the ones that I can comment on too.

Peter made the comment recently that although it isn't always intentional, community is formed around a blog. People come to know each other a little bit. Links are made, as are link backs. We become involved, albeit somewhat voyeuristically, although commenting does allow us to interact with the writer. And somehow, we can become a little bit a part of their life too.

Blogging allows the expression of self that you couldn't really do any other way. Reading other people's blogs gives me a little glimpse of what they love, what they're interested in, of what and who matters to them. It gives me a little glimpse of what it's like to be them.

This afternoon I was thinking that blogging has taught me a lot about myself. Being able to write out my thoughts on a regular basis has helped clarify many things for me. I think somehow I learn more about what matters to me through this writing.

And you, my dear readers, have become a little part of my life. I don't know many of you in-the-flesh, but daily you give me feedback, make me laugh, and teach me about yourselves, and through that, I learn a little more about me and the One who created all of us. On a few occasions we've even poured out our hearts to each other. You've even kept me accountable. You've even taught me more about being a follower of Christ.

For this, my friends, I thank you, and I say, "blog on."

Something brought you to my mind today
I thought about the funny ways you make me laugh
And yet I feel like it's okay to cry with you
Somethin' about just being with you
When I leave I feel like I've been near God
And that's the way it ought to be

'Cause you been more than a friend to me
You fight off my enemies
'Cause you've spoken truth over my life
And you'll never know what it means to me
Just to know you've been on your knees for me
Oh, you have blessed my life
More than you'll ever know

You had faith, when I had none
You prayed God would bring me a brand new song
When I didn't think I could find the strength to sing
And all the while I'm hoping that I'll
Do the kind of praying for you that you've done for me
And that's the way it ought to be.

- "More Than You'll Ever Know," from Watermark's "All Things New".

No comments: