Monday, March 01, 2004


Anonymity, Findability, and the Net


Recently I have heard from a few people asking me to remove their last names from my blogroll. This I do not mind at all, I just like to include last names, but I don't need to.

Their reasons for not including their full names vary, some wanting to remain unfindable on the net by those who know them in real life, some because of past problems with internet nuts, some wanting not to be "googleable," and some just for general privacy.

When I first started blogging, I intended to use a pseudonym. That really didn't last though, and I used my real first name. Eventually, I used my last name, and now I suppose, if you knew me and you really really wanted to, you could find my blog by searching for me. It might take a bit of work, but hey, here I am.

The internet has brought the world to our doorstep computer screen. With an internet hookup, a few strokes on the keyboard, and a couple of clicks, you can find pretty much anyone. Sure not everyone has a blog, but pretty much everyone has a phone number and an email address.

Blogging has brought push-button publishing to the masses. It has brought the world into our lives. I can have relationships with people all around the world that I wouldn't have otherwise had except through this medium we call weblogging.

I'm not going to tell you everything about me. And one day, I might just disappear from this spot. But for now, you can know this little bit of me.

Thank you for letting me know a little bit of you as well.

No comments: