Saturday, February 21, 2004


The Next Sandra Schmirler


Curling: A game originating in Scotland in which two four-person teams slide heavy oblate stones toward the center of a circle at either end of a length of ice.

So yesterday I went curling. I don't know anyone who just goes curling. It's not like bowling, you don't just decide with your friends to go curling. Usually you only go as part of gym class or if you're in a curling league. But all good people from the Prairies have been curling at least once. We all know who Sandra Schmirler is.

But yesterday was an odd day, and I ended up going curling with my roommate Jodi and an odd assortment of people, the majority of whom I did not know and had never spoken to in my life. It actually ended up being pretty fun though. I hadn't curled since probably eleventh grade gym class, 1995 or so.

I was going to attempt to tell you how the game of curling is played, but it's hard to describe such a weird sport and I think clicking here and then clicking on the "Learn more about the basics of curling in our Flash animated demo" link will show you better.

It always makes me chuckle when I can tell people that in grades 5-8 we always got a whole day off school to go curling at the town rink. My favourite part is the slider that you wear on your one shoe that makes is so you can slide down the ice.

Although hucking a big huge rock down the ice is pretty cool too.


No comments: