Monday, February 02, 2004


Miles Away


You know, part of the cool part about going to a school where everyone is from some other province or state, and also part of the cool part of working in odd places all over the continent, is the fact that you end up with friends all over.

But also, the sucky part about going to such a school and working in such places is the fact that you end up with friends all over.

I used to be a voracious keeper-in-toucher, but I have found that as time goes on, and I come to know more and more people, I’m not quite so good at it. Sometimes I realize that although I'd like to, I'm never going to see some of these people ever again. So, my motivation for keeping in touch diminishes when there is no promise of future real life contact, or any contact for that matter (i.e. letters, email, telephone calls, msn chats of substance, and currently-uninvented-modes-of-communication).

Recently, I heard of someone lamenting, "How come none of my roommates never keep in touch with me?" I think that keeping in touch has to be very much reciprocal... or else keeping in touch dies. People aren't going to keep in touch with you if you make no effort to keep in touch with them. Duh.

I had some awesome chats and emails this weekend.

Anyways, what I think the point of this post was when I started it is that I seriously have some of the bestest friends ever and I wish that they all lived in the same place so I could see all of them all of the time. But would that be too much of a good thing?

While absence does sometimes make the heart grow fonder, communication is vital.


No comments: