Friday, January 16, 2004


2004 (so far)


Seabiscuit
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
How to Deal
Freaky Friday


I like watching movies. I notice all the little details and themes usually. I tend to think too much while I'm watching them. However, I don't think I'm very good at reviewing them.

Seabiscuit came highly recommended. I kept hearing about what a fabulous movie it was. I watched it at home with my parents and my little brother. My mom fell asleep after the first half hour. Overalll, we all thought it was a pretty boring movie. We kept thinking it was going to end. It didn't for a very very long time.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. I had seen this one before, once last summer. I remember it being slightly funny. It's an okay-ish movie. My roomdawg Jodi bought it last week. We watched it this past weekend. My favourite character was when the girl's friend "Michelle" is the fake psychologist.

How to Deal. Jodi wanted to rent a "chick flick"/non-thinking/non-boy-type movie. This was out. I had seen it in the theatre last summer and thought it fit the bill. We invited a couple of other girls to come and watch it. Jodi hated it but thought it fit the bill. When I saw it in the theatre I was currently in the midst of emotional turmoil, and so it didn't really help my outlook on life. I did however, find the main character's way of dealing with life pretty interesting and reflective somewhat of the millenial mindset. The day after we rented and watched the movie I let my youth ministry mind get the best of me and watched the movie with the commentary (I was scrapbooking and had nothing better to do) which was interesting. I had never watched a whole movie with the commentary turned on. This one didn't have too many interesting tidbits, it was much more conversational (it was Mandy Moore, her best friend from the movie, and the director commenting), and the sound of the movie was turned off. Then after I watched all that I watched all the other features that were on the DVD. There was a little documentary thing on the history of young adult literature that was kind of interesting and brought back memories of my Sweet Valley Twins and Baby-Sitter's Club days, but it wasn't that well made.

Freaky Friday I watched last night as part of the campus "Chick Flick Night" hosted by the local women's ministry group. Women on campus volunteered in groups of two to show a "chick flick" in one of their homes to a group of college students. Some of my friends signed up and I ended up going with them. It actually turned out to be pretty fun. The two ladies who hosted it got creative and got us Chinese food snacks, which went with the movie, and I thought that was cool. Anyways, the movie for the most part was pretty funny. I would watch it again. It wasn't really deep, but did have some realistic things to say about parent/teen relationships. Somewhat.

I think this post makes me sound like a teenager.

No comments: