Monday, December 08, 2003



missing

So, I put this book on hold at the library (i.e. requested that when the current borrower returned said book, I would be notified it was returned and thus would be able to pick it up at the circulation desk and sign it out for three glorious weeks) about five weeks ago…

Except two weeks when I got the notice it had been returned, I immediately went to the library to pick it up… and they couldn't find it.

I went and looked at the point in the library shelves where 259.2 C271 should have been had it been accidentally shelved, and it was not there. It was also not anywhere on the hold shelf, or anywhere on the reserve shelf, or anywhere on the book carts.

Then two other librarians came to assist the first librarian looking on the shelves behind the circulation desk (of which there are not many), then Mean Librarian (all names have been changed to protect those presumed innocent) looked at my hold notice and declared it to have been printed two weeks previous to that days date and I should have known that holds expire after three days.

But, I informed Mean Librarian, I had only received the hold notice that day.

"That is entirely not possible, Michelle," Mean Librarian informed me.

But, it somehow was. Exactly where the hold notice had spent the last two weeks, I do not know, but I do know that in that time the book had disappeared.

In fact, it's still somewhere other than it’s proper place at 259.2 C271 on the library shelves. And I’ve looked around in the study carrels as well, it’s not there. But the library's computer system still says it's checked in. So it should be on it's shelf.

So, if you’re the person who is with holding 259.2 C271 from it’s rightful place on my desk whereupon I could use it for my current homework project, I ask you to return it. Please.

259.2 C271
eMinistry: Connecting with the Net Generation, by Andrew Careaga.

i need it.

maybe i should just break down and buy it.

No comments: