Monday, December 22, 2003


because of Christmas Day


this Christmas, i am going home. home to northern alberta, home to my parents' house. i've never actually lived there, because my parents moved after i finished high school and i've spent most of my summers in various parts of the world inbetween college years and seminary. so... i pretty much only know my family there.

this Christmas, my whole family will be home. my older sister, her husband, my younger sister, and my little brother. i guess technically he's not little anymore, now that he's 20 and is taller than me, but i think he'll always be "little" to me.

i don't know what i'm getting for Christmas this year, i would like a bigger lens for my camera, but i am kinda doubtful that that will happen. i think that i got people some pretty good gifts this year, i framed some pictures i especially like for my older sister and my mom in some really cool frames, and i made my dad this cool 3-D sheep picture thingy (he's a sheep farmer, he likes anything with sheep on it), and my brother-in-law some personalized golf stuff (apparently, or so i've been informed, he likes to golf), and then i got my younger siblings what they wanted. i made some scarves as well and sent them to various people. and i made cards and sent them to a bunch of people as well. i like making homemade stuff better than buying gifts usually. it's more fun to make stuff than buy stuff.

i don't come from a Christian family (well, they go to church, but that's about it), so Christmas isn't really a time of deep spiritual significance, we go to church Christmas Eve, and say grace Christmas day, but that's about it. sometimes i wonder what it would be like to celebrate Christmas with a whole family of believers. cherish it if you have it.

two thousand years ago in a town called Bethlehem, a young girl gave birth to a child in a stable. God came to earth as a tiny baby to bring salvation to mankind. 30 years later he died on a cross.

and today i live because of Him.

No comments: