Saturday, November 22, 2003


quote


"Of all the strange things men and women do I will never, ever understand The Cold Shoulder. A man meets a woman, he enjoys her company, he begins to pursue her romantically, she responds to his pursuit, and then, as if it were all meaningless to begin with, he changes his mind and ignores her. She attempts to reconcile things with him - was it something she did? Said? - and he assures her it had nothing to do with her, he just changed his mind. My male friends refer to this as a guy simply freaking himself out at the prospect of having a relationship with someone; my female friends refer to this as being (edited out) over.

The Cold Shoulder solves nothing, if that is the intention behind it. It doesn't resolve the problem of romantic feelings, and it surely doesn't make those feelings go away. Maybe the guy's feelings can go away that easily, but somehow, I just can't believe that they do. Can they? Is it just women who drown themselves in memories of what a guy wore three months ago the last time she saw him? Is it just women who have what turn out to be insignificant relationships with guys and just can't seem to shake them even though there is no hope? Am I alone in this, is this a sure sign of my neurosis? Am I crazy?"

- from sarahhatter.com

No comments: